Friday, February 20, 2009

Vanity Insanity

Has anyone else heard of Latisse? Latisse is a bimatoprost ophthalmic solution and the first and only FDA-approved treatment used to grow eyelashes, making them longer, fuller and darker. It’s a solution prescribed to actually treat hypotrichosis another name for having inadequate or not enough eyelashes (yes there’s an actual term for this!). The solution is dabbed on the top of the lash line like eyeliner but should not be placed on lower lash line.

The discovery of Latisse was accidental. Eye drops to treat glaucoma had the side effect of growing eyelashes in one woman. The glaucoma medicine, Lumigan, is being renamed and repackaged as Latisse, in order to target making eyelashes grow.

Yah that’s right everything we’ve all longed and wished for can be possible with this product. It sounds too good to be true in my opinion as are most things in life.

The before and after pictures show the progression throughout the treatment period, they are darker and some cases are longer but who knows they could be doctored right? But check them out for yourself (http://www.latisse.com/BeforeandAfter.aspx?state=30). I also love the list of possible side effects which one can get when on this product located on the first page:

- Darkening of the eyelid with may be reversible
- Increased brown pigmentation of the coloured part of the eye which is likely to be permanent
- Itching in the eyes and/or eye redness. However, this was only reported in 4% of patients
- Eye irritation, dryness of eyes1

I think I’ll just stick to my less damaging lash enhancing methods until somebody comes up with something with little side effects.

Fun fact of the day: Maybelline was named with a combination of the creator’s sister’s name (Mabel) and the product’s main ingredient (mascara), Vaseline.

If you’re bored check out the evolution of lash enhancers.
http://www.latisse.com/Evolution.aspx?state=51

Would any of you try this product? I know some of my readers out there don’t need this product since they’ve been blessed with amazing lashes. You all know who you are! I’m pretty sure I acknowledge them on a daily basis.

1http://www.latisse.com/Default.aspx?return=true

Image: Keira Knightley as Twiggy

3 comments:

la flaneuse said...

lol you acknowledge them on a daily basis.. i agree vic i dont want brown eyelids. id rather pull an edie like you and do the falsies. interesting to know though!

Shawna @ My Nails Did said...

I think I'd stay away. I would not want my eye colour changing brown!!

Victoria ♥ said...

haha I hear ya! Brown eyelids makes for not fun times.